Re: [dkim-ops] Q: "dkim=discardable"

2008-10-31 11:14:25
Hector,

    Have you ever considered that the " laisez-faire dropping of mail by
operators" as you put it, is done to thwart spammers and email miners?  My
system spends a great deal of time sending email to addresses that do not
exist to tell them the system rejected their email.  Worse, it sends email
to people whose addresses have been spoofed telling them I rejected email
they never sent.  My postmaster account is full of rejects of my rejects.

    The whole idea of DKIM is to make email more reliable. If I have my DKIM
set to discardable I really don't want to have to process email telling me
that some spoofer's email was discarded.  Why should my resources be used
for such a purpose when I didn't send the original in the first place?

    I don't condone the practice of just dropping the mail, but sometimes
"standards" need to catch up with reality.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Web and Mail Hosting.
Phone: 252-657-9591
Web: http://www.emacolet.com

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!