Re: [fetchmail]I'm thinking about rewriting the locking code

2001-03-12 18:04:13
Hello,

                                                 To do this, I first
need to stop the background fetchmail, run the dedicated fetchmail,
and then restart the background fetchmail.
He's got a point.  I sat down and thought about this for a while, and
there are a couple of possible solutions to this problem.

I agree that he does have a point. But on the other hand, I want the
behaviour of -q and running a foreground fetchmail to stay the same and
would be wary of all the shared memory stuff. Also, as far as the users
are concerned, fetchmail should work in exactly the same way on all
platforms. The famous principle of least surprise, if you will.

So here's a thing I do at work and which may be a user land alternative
for the original problem:

Our sysadmins don't want people to poll the IMAP server more than once per
ten minutes, and have been known to complain if one does this anyway on
a regular basis. I, on the other hand, want better connectivity than that.
So I set up a system where I have two .fetchmailrc files: one that makes
the daemon polls every 5 minutes, and one that uses a 50 minute interval.
In addition, I have an automated script that detects/guesses whether or
not I'm around, such that the 5 minute one is only used when it could
actually be useful. Whenever this thing changes state, it makes my "main"
.fetchmailrc link point to the correct file, and then tells the daemon
to reread that.

A similar setup would be possible for the case in which an occasional poll
to a different machine is needed every now and then. Just wrap it all in a
single script, and let the same daemon handle both servers.

Regards,

MCE
M. Eyckmans (MCE)          Code of the Geeks v3.1
mce(_at_)pi(_dot_)be
GCS d+ s+:- a35 C+++$ UHLUASO+++$ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N+++ !o K w--- !O M--
 V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP- t--- !5 !X R- tv- b+ DI++ D-- G++ e+++ h+(*) !r y?