Re: [fetchmail]Re: The 5.7.6 release of fetchmail is available

2001-03-23 10:29:49
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:28:54PM -0300, hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Peter Pentchev wrote:
The NLS build is still broken, at least on FreeBSD; it seems the breakage
results from a non-up-to-date aclocal.m4 file.  Running aclocal before

Or maybe the aclocal.m4 / configure.in file generated from the gettext stuff
installed in ESR's box simply won't work in FreeBSD.

Hm.  You seem to be right.  However, almost the only system I've heard of
that has the libintl functionality built into libc is a relatively new
version of RedHat; does fetchmail really only target relatively new
versions of RedHat to build out of the box now?  ("out-of-the-box"
means it does not require any - or too much - additional pieces of
software; it practically requires GNU make for the several ${MAKE} -C
invocations, it kind-of requires gcc; so it requires autoconf, too, now?)

In theory this could be handled by running aclocal && autoconf in your local
box before the build (this is done in the debian build, BTW). But that
 requires autoconf and automake installed in the build machine.

The FreeBSD port currently just runs configure and make with LDFLAGS
containing -lintl.  That's the kind of building-out-of-the-box that
I mean above - does fetchmail *require* autoconf installed to build
on non-RedHat-Linux systems now? :)  I don't think this is what ESR
had it mind..  See also my other mail, the one about the missing
'missing' script..

G'luck,
Peter

--
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on