Re: [fetchmail]Re: The 5.7.6 release of fetchmail is available

2001-03-23 10:45:28
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Peter Pentchev wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:28:54PM -0300, hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org wrote:
Or maybe the aclocal.m4 / configure.in file generated from the gettext stuff
installed in ESR's box simply won't work in FreeBSD.

Hm.  You seem to be right.  However, almost the only system I've heard of
that has the libintl functionality built into libc is a relatively new

Next Debian stable will ship glibc 2.2, as well (I am using glibc 2.2.2
right now in my Debian unstable box). That includes libintl (gettext) in
glibc.  I suppose nearly all GNU/Linux distributions will do the same.

Which doesn't mean our gettext will be up to par. A lot of GNU stuff is not
well handled upstream, gettext (and autoconf/automake/autoheader) included
IMHO. (If you hear someone mumbling about hundreds of thousands of little
patches that never get integrated or propagated from one vendor to another
because upstream does not have a strong presence, that's me getting pissed
at gettext and autoconf & friends).

version of RedHat; does fetchmail really only target relatively new
versions of RedHat to build out of the box now?  ("out-of-the-box"

Nah. And --with-included-gettext should work just fine.

means it does not require any - or too much - additional pieces of
software; it practically requires GNU make for the several ${MAKE} -C
invocations, it kind-of requires gcc; so it requires autoconf, too, now?)

Nah, it was a simple bug. Fetchmail autoconf stuff needs an autoconf &
automake expert to rebuild it from scratch, and we don't have any around
apparently :P. See patch to fix your problem in the other thread (btw, try
it and tell me if it works).

In theory this could be handled by running aclocal && autoconf in your local
box before the build (this is done in the debian build, BTW). But that
 requires autoconf and automake installed in the build machine.

The FreeBSD port currently just runs configure and make with LDFLAGS
containing -lintl.  That's the kind of building-out-of-the-box that

That will break, I think. Run configure, and don't screw around with
LDFLAGS, it should be handled by the Makefile automatically, now. If it
doesn't, that is a bug and I'd like to hear about it.

  Henrique Holschuh