[fetchmail]how to present password in fetchmailrc?

2001-03-23 22:09:35
What is the best way to put entries such as username
and password in fetchmailrc?  Especially in the case
of password, any character can be used there. What is
the best way to enter it in fetchmailrc so that the
parser gets it right?  Do I want to enclose it in
single quotes (') or double quotes (")? Then, how do I
escape these if they happen to be part of the
password?

I thought I would put double quotes around the
password and escape any double quotes in the password
by backslash:

poll pop.name.com user xyz pass "abc\""
in case the password is abc"

But it doesn't work. Shouldn't it?  I don't want to
use \x22 to represent (")... Any suggestions? Thanks.