[fetchmail]Fetchmail oddity

2001-03-28 06:21:11
Howdy hacker(s?),

I have noticed an oddity and found a workaround which makes me happy.
Perhaps you are interested in this for documentation or even future
enhancements?

Reqested info (sort of):
1. I run fetchmail-5.7.4 under Linux Mandrake 6.0 (yes, old)
2. Stock compiler: pgcc-2.91.66
3. Greeting line: 220 stonm002.adcore.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft
Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2653.13) ready
4. SMTP listener: Netscape Messaging Server 3.6
6. Heeps of output. The interesting part is that the mail server in the
end complains about bad address syntax and later about relaying.

Just about all mails work flawlessly, with one significant exception -
mails from myself to colleagues that (like me) use fetchmail to get
their mail into a more civilized mail server than Exchange...

What happens is the following:

1. Netscape 4.7x mailer puts a "Sender: zap" line among the headers.
2. This header is intact on the Exchange server.
3. At some stage during fetchmails operation it is transformed to
"Sender: zap(_at_)192(_dot_)168(_dot_)1(_dot_)136" (this is the IP address of
the SMTP server).
4. Fetchmail seems to think this is more important than any "From: "
line and so uses it for in the SMTP delivery...
5. Therefore it is trapped as spam!

My workaround: I hacked fetchmail to ignore the "Sender: " line for now
(just commented out lines 784+785 from driver.c). I'm sure there is a
more elegant solution. Opinions?

                Thanks for a great program! / Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson             E-mail:
mailto:Jonas(_dot_)Petersson(_at_)adcore(_dot_)com