[fetchmail]Possible Bug

2001-05-06 01:56:39
G3. I think I've found a bug. Will you fix it?

   Yes I will, provided you include enough diagnostic information [...]

It might save you time if I first note that the problem occurred each
time Fetchmail tried to retrieve a particular message (now well and
truly lost), and it consisted of hanging shortly after Fetchmail started
talking to Sendmail:

   fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
   fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<vlit(_at_)msn(_dot_)com> SIZE=2412

Nothing would happen until I issued a kill. I tried many times, waiting
up to ten minutes or more before killing the process. Messages started
piling up behind that one, so I faxed my ISP and asked them to delete
it. When I could try again, it was gone and I had no more problems.

I have FTP to the account, but not to my mailbox on the server. The ISP
discontinued Telnet access a few months ago. No way to get the message.
Sorry.

The ability to skip such a message, if that is at all possible, would be
a useful feature. I tried setting up a spam-block, but it didn't work (I
already have a few in place that do work).

I had no problems before this. Nothing had just been changed when the
problem occurred.

Now for that info:

- `rpm -q' tells me I have fetchmail-5.3.1-1 and sendmail-8.9.3-20.

- Command line and server greeting line (manually wrapped):

  fetchmail -a -v -v
  fetchmail: 5.3.1 querying ms17.hinet.net (protocol IMAP) at Tue, 01
  May 2001 21:10:13 +0800 (CST)
  fetchmail: IMAP< * OK [168.95.4.17] IMAP4rev1 v12.264 server ready

- Active lines in my ~/.fetchmailrc file:

  poll ms17.hinet.net with protocol imap
    user dski there has password xxx and is dski here

- Something interesting from `fetchmail -a -v -v' output in the session
  in which the problem occurred:

  fetchmail: IMAP> A0006 FETCH 1 RFC822.HEADER
  fetchmail: IMAP< * 1 FETCH (RFC822.HEADER {826}
  reading message 1 of 1 (826 header octets)
  About to rewrite From: vlit(_at_)msn(_dot_)com
  Rewritten version is From: vlit(_at_)msn(_dot_)com

  About to rewrite To: Unlimited(_at_)aol(_dot_)com
  Rewritten version is To: Unlimited(_at_)aol(_dot_)com

- Current output of `fetchmail -V -a -v -v'. "CLE" is the Chinese Linux
  Extensions. The system is billed as Red Hat 6.2 + CLE 0.9p1. The CLE
  people also included some bug fixes and such that Red Hat announced
  after the release of 6.2. Everything was installed from the CD
  included with a book written by the CLE team.

  This is fetchmail release 5.3.1+IMAP-GSS
  Linux Caviar 2.2.17-4CLE #1 Thu Sep 14 22:34:40 CST 2000 i586 unknown
  Taking options from command line and /home/dski/.fetchmailrc
  Lockfile at /home/dski/.fetchmail.pid
  Idfile is /home/dski/.fetchids
  Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to dski.
  Fetchmail will direct error mail to the sender.
  Options for retrieving from dski(_at_)ms17(_dot_)hinet(_dot_)net:
    True name of server is ms17.hinet.net.
    This host will be queried when no host is specified.
    Password = "xxx".
    Protocol is IMAP (using default port).
    Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
    Default mailbox selected.
    All messages will be retrieved (--all on).
    Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
    Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
    Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
    Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
    Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
    Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
    MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
    Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
    No received-message limit (--fetchlimit 0).
    No SMTP message batch limit (--batchlimit 0).
    No forced expunges (--expunge 0).
    Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
    Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
    No pre-connection command.
    No post-connection command.
    Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
        dski
    No interface requirement specified.
    No monitor interface specified.
    No plugin command specified.