Re: [fetchmail]Bug in "fetchmail" 5.8.1

2001-05-11 23:30:36
Matthias Scheler <tron(_at_)zhadum(_dot_)de>:
This is fetchmail release 5.8.1+SSL+INET6+NLS
NetBSD lyssa.zhadum.de 1.5U NetBSD 1.5U (LYSSA) #0: Sat Apr 21 13:07:54 CEST
2001     tron(_at_)lyssa(_dot_)zhadum(_dot_)de:/src/sys/compile/LYSSA i386
Taking options from command line and /homes/colwyn/tron/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /homes/colwyn/tron/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to tron.
Fetchmail will direct error mail to the sender.
Options for retrieving from tron(_at_)mail(_dot_)core(_dot_)de:
  True name of server is beaver.core.de.
  This host will be queried when no host is specified.
  Password = "klmr41qv".
  Protocol is POP3 (using default port).
  Password authentication will be forced.

Look at that.  Something is forcing password authentication somehow.
If you had left it defaulted, it would say

  All available authentication methods will be tried.

instead.

The problem is that "fetchmail" tries to authenticate itself twice:

Not surprising with password authentication forced on.

Here is the entry in ".fetchmailrc":

poll mail.core.de proto pop3 user tron password ********** ssl

If I add an "auth passwd" everything works fine. If I add "auth cram-md5"
"fetchmail" uses plain password authentification but is able to log in.
It looks like there is a serious bug in the handling of the configure
authentification scheme.

Peculiar.  It looks like password authentication is being turned on
sometime after the SSL socket open.  I can't reproduce this.  Do
you know how to drive gdb?
--

The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the
government off the backs of the people.