Re: [fetchmail]mailing lists

2001-05-21 22:05:50
On Mon, 21 May 2001, Normand Leclerc wrote:

Hi,

   I am having a hard time configuring fetchmail to get mailing lists.
The lists are subscribed to my own address.  I only want to distribute
all the messages localy to multiple recipients.  These recipients are
listed in a sendmail alias localy.

   The way I tought of doing it was to aka the list's domain to my own
and list recipients redirecting them to my local alias.  This doesn't
work...

  I just don't know how I can do this.

Normand Leclerc
leclercn(_at_)videotron(_dot_)ca

The way I do it is having fetchmail run by a system user that
sends all incoming mail to itself using local SMTP and local
domain etc (from /etc/hosts) and then have PROCMAIL -- the
~/.procmailrc -- of this system user set up so it distributes
incoming mail 1) based on envelope headers (guessed from
Received Headers) and when that fails, 2) based on "To:",
"Cc:", etc Headers.  This sceme works even with most
mailinglists thanks to the Received Headers, but not always.
There are two exections that need to be handled:

        Exception 1)    Your case -- you want a single
                        mailinglist subscription to be
                        distributed to several local users.
                        This needs to be handled first of all in
                        the system user's ~/.procmailrc

        Exception 2)    It was not possible to figure out from
                        headers of some mailinglist which local
                        user should have it.  This knowledge
                        _can_ be placed next to the former in
                        the same system user's ~/.procmailrc,
                        but it can also be placed late in the
                        same script.

The system user's ~/.procmailrc then distributes incoming mail
to the other users using calls to sendmail.

I know, this is inefficient and is using a whole lot of
system resources, but it does work and it makes these kinds of
tricks doable.  I've been using the config (self invented) since
about 1995.)

If you want to do this, write me in person, and I'll send some
sample config files.

Take Care,

Leif Erlingsson              +46-70-447-8271     +46-8-778-5038
Katrinebergsvagen 70
146 50  Tullinge,  Sweden    leif(_at_)lege(_dot_)com       http://lege.com
ech`echo unli|tr il oc|sed 'su\([su]\)\([on]\)uo li\2\1x is u'`ol