Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail doesn't get new messages

2001-05-25 11:39:06
Dan Peterson <dbpete(_at_)aol(_dot_)com>:
I've been using fetchmail 5.2.7 on HP-UX for quite a while without
problems.  Several times I've tried to upgrade to the latest version, but
had problems and since I didn't have time to look into it, just stuck with
5.2.7.

The problem I've encountered with versions > 5.2.7, is that the mail is
never retrieved.  Looking at the log output, it's clear the messages are
available, but it appears fetchmail thinks it's already seen them.

As I look at the verbose output, it seems the "SEARCH" command (or lack
there of) may be the source of the problem.  Did fetchmail start using the
SEARCH command in versions > 5.2.7?

Yes, the key line in your log is

  fetchmail: IMAP< A0004 NO Command 'SEARCH' not supported

Versions of fetchmail after 5.3.6 moved to using SEARCH UNSEEN rather than
querying individual message flags.

The IMAP server is a proprietary server, so it's quite possible it doesn't
support all the IMAP commands.  If this is something the IMAP server is
doing incorrectly, I can pass on the appropriate information to the
developer, but I suspect it will be quite some time before changes can be
made.

If it claims to be IMAP2bis or 4 and doesn't support SEARCH, it's broken.
Yours is the first report I've had of a problem with this.

Is there some way to get the 5.2.7 behavior without downgrading to 5.2.7?

No, unfortunately.
--

Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good.
        -- Mohandas Gandhi