[fetchmail]SMPT transfer problem, setup

2001-06-08 18:32:09
        Hello from Japan and thank you for any advice you're able to
provide.  I think this is a simple question though I was unable to
find an answer in the fetchmail archives.  I hope I'm not imposing to
ask it here.

    I've got a pair of redhat systems (a desktop and a laptop) that
I'm trying to setup for e-mail.  I've had a lot of problems with the
easier, nice GUI stuff like kmail so I'm trying to get down to the
basics and do everything from the console.  I'd like to pop my mail
off my Japanese ISP with POP3 using fetchmail.  So far I've used the
super-nice fetchmailconf utility and I think that everything is in
order but I get the following log message when I connect and give it a
shot:

 etchmail: 5.7.4 querying mail.host.or.jp (protocol auto) at Sun 03 Jun 2001
11:12:45 AM JST
fetchmail: 5.7.4 querying mail.host.or.jp (protocol IMAP) at Sun 03 Jun 2001
11:12:45 AM JST
fetchmail: 5.7.4 querying mail.host.or.jp (protocol POP3) at Sun 03 Jun 2001
11:12:46 AM JST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK tama2.host.or.jp POP3 server (Post.Office v2.0 0813 with
ZPOP version 1.0) ready Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:13:09 +0900
fetchmail: POP3> USER xuxa
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required for xuxa
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Maildrop has 3 messages (17868 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3 17868
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2
3 messages (2 seen) for xuxa at mail.host.or.jp (17868 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3< 1 14166
fetchmail: POP3< 2 2470
fetchmail: POP3< 3 1232
fetchmail: POP3< .
skipping message 1 (14166 octets) not flushed
skipping message 2 (2470 octets) not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 3 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Top 99999999 lines of message 3
reading message 3 of 3 (1232 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to $procmail -d %T#******sh:
-d: command not found
fetchmail: MDA exited abnormally or returned nonzero status
 not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK tama2.host.or.jp POP3 server closing connection
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0
Done.

        So it looks like everything up to the actual download of the
mail is going ok.  Any ideas why things fail at that point?  My
apologies for posting such a simple question but I'd really appreciate
it if someone can set me in the right direction.  Thanks again.

  Kris

  kristofer(_dot_)bergstrom(_at_)stanfordalumni(_dot_)org

E-mail(_at_)stanfordalumni(_dot_)org is brought to you by
the Stanford Alumni Association and Critical Path.