[fetchmail]Expired Password

2001-06-20 09:22:12
I recently moved my fetchmail host from an HP-UX 10.20 system to RedHat
Linux 7.1.  Both systems use Fetchmail-5.2.7 (I use 5.2.7 because the IMAP
server for one of my accounts doesn't support the SEARCH command).

On the HP-UX system, whenever the password on one of my accounts (POP3)
expired I would receive a email message from fetchmail.

The last time my password expired was a bit over a week ago.  I noticed I
wasn't getting any mail, so I started poking around and noticed the
following in my fetchmail log:

  fetchmail: 5.2.7 querying <user> (protocol POP3) at Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:45:13
-0400 (EDT)
  fetchmail: kerberos_v5_cleartext_password authentication failed:
krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password: Password has expired
  fetchmail: Authorization failure on <user>@<mailhost>
  fetchmail: authorization error while fetching from <user>
  fetchmail: query status=3

and this in /var/log/maillog:

  ... <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON(_at_)localhost>... Real domain name required for sender
address

I realized at the time fetchmail was trying to send me a message about the
expired password, but sendmail was rejecting the message.  I figured this
was something wrong with the sendmail configuration, but didn't have time
to mess with it, so I just updated my password and got everything going.

Today, I started to look into solving this problem... in the fetchmail
FAQ, I noticed a reference to an SMTP error that looked like mine and
added the following to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

  FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl

Then rebuilt sendmail.cf and restarted sendmail:

  m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
  /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

I then changed the password in .fetchmailrc so it would be incorrect, then
restarted fetchmail.  I saw the failure in the fetchmail log:

  fetchmail: 5.2.7 querying <user> (protocol POP3) at Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:23:00
-0400 (EDT)
  fetchmail: Password supplied for "<user>" is incorrect.
  fetchmail: Authorization failure on <user>@<mailhost>
  fetchmail: authorization error while fetching from <user>
  fetchmail: query status=3

But didn't see any messages in /var/log/maillog.  Next I tried removing
the change to sendmail.mc and testing again, with the same result.  It
looks to me like fetchmail isn't even trying to send a message this time.

The only difference I can see is the error message returned from the POP3
server.  Does fetchmail look at the actual error message to determine if
it should send a notification email or not, or just the fact that the
"PASS" command failed?

Does it only send a notification if the password has "expired", or should
it also send a message if the password is "incorrect"?

Basically, all I wanted to do, was test my sendmail configuration to make
sure I received a notification email the next time my password expires.
Is there someway I can fake this?