[fetchmail]fetchmail 5.3.3-1.2

2001-06-20 18:58:33
Howdy,
        I running Debian 2.2 on a 2.2.19 kernel with fetchmail 5.3.3 (as
it is the version listed in apt-get). This probably aint a bug report but my
of a question or a request for comment.

Basically I'm using it to pull mail from a bunch of accounts on an external
pop3 server and forward them to an internal exchange server after some
rewriting. Everything is working perfectly. Except that on the occasion
it will experience a timeout while trying to connect or send a command
and hang.

Jun 20 18:15:02 mail fetchmail[6105]: 5.3.3 querying mail.bigpond.com
(protocol POP3) at Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:15:02 +1000 (EST)
Jun 20 18:20:02 mail fetchmail[6105]: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for
server mail.bigpond.com.

The above is logged using the -vv option. I'm using crontab to fire
fetchmail
every 15 minutes. Problem is that if it times out it doesn't close and as
such
when it gets started again in 15 minutes nothing happens because it has a
copy of itself already running.

Below is peice of the man page from the timeout option.

          If a mailserver does not  send  a  greeting  message  or
              respond  to  commands  for the given number of sec­
              onds, fetchmail will hang up on it.

I would think this would mean that the app would close after experiencing a
timeout. But it seems to hang.

squid:/ftp# fetchmail -V
This is fetchmail release 5.3.3+NTLM+SDPS+NLS
Linux mail 2.2.19pre17 #1 Sat May 19 03:55:06 EST 2001 i686 unknown

I use a fetchmail.conf in the /etc directory and use the -f option to
specify it.
Below is a small section of it.

set syslog
poll mail.bigpond.com proto pop3 user "user(_at_)myclient(_dot_)com(_dot_)au"
password
"password" smtp 10.0.0.2 no rewrite smtpaddress clientdomain.com.au is user2
here

I realise your going to say upgrade to latest version. But I downloaded the
5.8.7-2
deb . But due to the fact it is in the unstable release and I'm running
stable I would
need to do a system upgrade to unstable to use it. Anyways I'm just chasing
some
input as to a possible solution.

Thanx for your time.

Tom Bell