[fetchmail]SMTP AUTH extension

2001-07-02 14:22:44
Hello,

I'm thinking about implementing the SMTP AUTH extension (RFC 2554) for
fetchmail, if there's interest in this feature. It's mentioned on the
ToDo-list for fetchmail, so I guess there is...

I've already looked through parts of the code and I think I have a
basic idea, how to do it. But two questions remain for me:

- How to hook this into the configuration? The current option for
  specifying the SMTP-host is a list of servers, like
  "smtphost server1,server2/port". One could extend this to something
  like "smtphost server1 auth:secret,server2 auth:secret". But it's
  not particulary nice.

- The internal data-structure for keeping the servers is a "struct
  idlist", which is a little bit narrow to also pack username,
  password etc. into it, although it might work. The other option
  would be to introduce a more elaborate data-structure for that. But
  that would mean, that quite a lot of other code must be modified.

Any bias from anyone? Or should I just go ahead and do it the way I
like it?

Regards,

Stephan