Re: [fetchmail]SMTP AUTH extension

2001-07-02 15:34:20
Hello,

Fetchmail already has code to read .netrc files.  Use that --
require your users to declare their authentication secrets there.

That's a nice idea! I wasn't even aware, that fetchmail evaluates this
file, but the man-page mentions it also. I'll certainly do it that
way. The only (small) problem I'm seeing is, that you can't use
fetchmailconf then to configure the login credentials. Or this program
has to be modified also.

I think it would be cleaner to define a new data structure for
describing target servers.  I'd welcome a patch that implemented
this.

That's ok for me and definitly cleaner.

It sounds from RFC2554 as though this shouldn't require any new
fetchmail switches.

Yes right. The only problem I stumbled over was how to specify the
username/password pair. But this is clear now.

Write your code to trigger on the presence of "Authentication" in
the EHLO response.

Yes, I intended to do it exactly that way. I'll certainly reuse a lot
of the code from cram.c to do CRAM-MD5. I'll try to implement that
mechanism as well as the other two mentioned in the
Exim-documentation, because I can test them quite easily here.

Don't expect a patch very fast, because there's also a daytime job
waiting for me, but I'll give it a try really soon.

Regards and thanks for your hints,

Stephan