[fetchmail]fetchmail 5.8.14 build glitch on gcc/Solaris 8

2001-07-20 05:58:00
Hi,

0. fetchmail 5.8.14
1. Solaris 8
2. gcc 2.95.2 (but will happen with 2.7 <= gcc < 3)

I ran into a minor glitch building with ./configure && make.
The link of fetchmail failed because _nl_msg_cat_cntr
was unresolved.  It was caused by this, in intl/libgettext.h:

  #  if defined __GNUC__ && __GNUC__ == 2 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 7
  /* This global variable is defined in loadmsgcat.c.  We need a sign,
     whether a new catalog was loaded, which can be associated with all
     translations.  */
  extern int _nl_msg_cat_cntr;

The problem is that Solaris 8 (and 7) provides a libintl
that does not define that symbol.  To work around the
problem, I built and linked in fetchmail's own libintl.
I don't know if that's the best way to handle it permanently,
but it does seem to work wll.

A couple of other things:

1) After building lib/libintl.a, it wouldn't get linked in
   until I added LDFLAGS=-Lintl to my make invocation.
   I think that if USE_INCLUDED_LIBINTL is yes, then the
   fetchmail Makefile should add -Lintl to LDFLAGS.

2) The __GNUC__ version test above will be false with gcc >= 3.0.
   I don't know if that's intentional or not.

Thanks for a great tool!

David