Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail security problems

2001-08-03 18:11:34
On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 04:45:54AM +0200, antirez wrote:
Hi all,

Fetchmail has two security problems that an evil
server can use to run arbitrary code. I tested
it with fetchmail 5.8.15 and prior versions. DNS
forgery can help to exploit this problem without
to be really in the server, so it's better to fix
it ASAP. I can't release an advisory on bugtraq
before you fix it and release a new version, so
please contact me to get more information about
the issue.

I'll send technical description of the problem
on public lists (bugtraq) after 5 days without
a response from the fetchmail developers.

        Consider this a response, since you didn't provide any
real information to respond to...

        Please send details to Eric Raymond <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com>.

        If you like, I'm a security investigator and I did the SSL
patches to fetchmail.  I would like to see the details as well.  If
they are not related to the SSL areas of fetchmail, I may not be
involved in the fixes, but Eric certainly will be.

regards,
antirez

--
Salvatore Sanfilippo <antirez(_at_)invece(_dot_)org>
http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez

        Regards,
        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw(_at_)WittsEnd(_dot_)com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/