[fetchmail]define _ (underscore conflict between gettext and des (SSL?)

2001-08-06 11:44:09
Hi,

First let me say thanks to those concerned. Fetchmail is a great
piece of work.

Just tried to compile fetchmail 5.8.16 on Linux, and for kicks I
figured I'd include SSL support.

I get this conflict and then make croaks.

# error "_ is defined, but some strange definition the DES library cannot
handle that."

There is a redefinition of _ in the des.h file (part of openssl),
which conflicts with the defintion in i18n.h (part of fetchmail),
the underscore alias for gettext().

I know _ is a popular alias for gettext(), but since there is
a conflict, will the code be changed to use some other alias,
or is there another solution? There are approx. 635 instances in
the current source, so even with search and replace it would take
a while to make sure they all get done right.

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere. Couldn't find it when
searching for "define," and "i18n" in the source directory.

Thanks,

Troy