[fetchmail]Exit code 0 after AUTHFAIL

2001-09-16 04:37:16
Hello Fetchmail-Friends,

There is probably a bug in Fetchmail's handling of exit codes. I
tested fetchmail-5.9.0 (and some earlier versions) with POP3/SSL and
IMAP/SSL. In this case I used a wrong password, but also some internal
problems of my email provider show the same situation:

        $ fetchmail -f .fetchmailrc-smtp-b4-smtp
        fetchmail: imap.web.de key fingerprint:
9D:A2:24:DB:25:AE:D1:27:A9:E8:71:C8:C3:33:CE:52
        fetchmail: Authorization failure on <SOME-USER>@imap.web.de
        fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
        $ echo $?
        0
        $

But the exit code should be 2 (from manual page):

       3      The  user authentication step failed.  This usually
              means that a bad user-id, password, or APOP id  was
              specified.   Or  it  may mean that you tried to run
              fetchmail under circumstances where it did not have
              standard input attached to a terminal and could not
              prompt for a missing password.

I need correct exit codes for a "POP3/IMAP before
SMTP"-authentication.

Björn

--
Björn Voigt <bjoern(_at_)cs(_dot_)tu-berlin(_dot_)de>
WWW:     http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~bjoern/