Re: [fetchmail]Exit code 0 after AUTHFAIL

2001-09-24 11:11:30
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Bjoern Voigt <bjoern(_at_)cs(_dot_)tu-berlin(_dot_)de>:
There is probably a bug in Fetchmail's handling of exit codes. I
tested fetchmail-5.9.0 (and some earlier versions) with POP3/SSL and
IMAP/SSL. In this case I used a wrong password, but also some internal
problems of my email provider show the same situation:

    $ fetchmail -f .fetchmailrc-smtp-b4-smtp
    fetchmail: imap.web.de key fingerprint:
9D:A2:24:DB:25:AE:D1:27:A9:E8:71:C8:C3:33:CE:52
    fetchmail: Authorization failure on <SOME-USER>@imap.web.de
    fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
    $ echo $?
    0
    $

Due to a weakness in POP3, server errors at startup look like authentication
errors to fetchmail.  The fix is to switch to IMAP.

The authentication errors came from the German Mail Provider WEB.DE
(because of database administration work). But to simulate this later,
I used a wrong password for my account. I tried this with POP3 over
SSL and IMAP over SSL. Because IMAP authentication errors are also not
reported with an exit code != 0, using IMAP isn't a solution.

This was my testing configuration file: .fetchmailrc-smtp-b4-smtp
set spambounce
poll imap.web.de protocol IMAP interval 10 uidl
     username SOME-USER password "APASSWORD" is bv here
     mda "/usr/bin/procmail  -d %T" fetchall ssl

I called fetchmail with "fetchmail -f .fetchmailrc-smtp-b4-smtp" (see
above).

If I find some time, I may run fetchmail in a debugger, to find the
problem.

Bye, Björn

--
Björn Voigt <bjoern(_at_)cs(_dot_)tu-berlin(_dot_)de>
WWW: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~bjoern/