[fetchmail]Mail bounce apologies - but questions I am puzzled over

2001-09-28 13:29:21
Hi

Just after joining this list my domain name forwarder seemed to screw up his
dns which caused all mail to me to bounce.  I asked a couple of questions of
the list, but I never got a reply - I wondered if it was because it bounced -
if so I apologise to anyone who did try and reply to me.

However - looking at the list archive I can see my questions got through on
the 18th September but apparently nobody replied.  So I will have to ask the
questions again

The first question was (in summary) that I didn't understand the bit of the
manual that gave a multidrop example

        poll pop.provider.net localdomains loonytoons.org toons.org:
               user maildrop with pass secret1 to 'esr' * here

presumable mail with envelope recipient
maildrop(_at_)pop(_dot_)provider(_dot_)net will get a
load of messages - some of which will have header to: or cc: addresses of the
form xxx(_at_)loontytoons(_dot_)org or yyy(_at_)toons(_dot_)org and because of
the * fetchmail
passes them through to the mta as messages with an envelope to those two
address forms.  What I don't understand is what does the text 'esr' play in
this?  Can someone explain.

The second question is related to the fact that fetchmail falls back to an
MDA of the MTA is not available.  On a debian (woody) mail server system with
fetchmail in daemon mode polling all my ISPs every 15 minutes I occassionally
loose the MTA.  In this event the daemon seems to be spawning a child shell
process for every message that comes in and I find out because my mail flow
seems to have stopped and I go and investigate.  The question I asked is
either can fetchmail be configured to just skip the poll or something if the
MTA is not available, all alternatively is there an approach of creating a
simple shell scripts that I can cause to run which effectively simply
temporarily rejects the message and shuts down so that there is a graceful
failure until the MTA recovers and I am not left with all these spawned child
processes.

TIA
--

  Alan - alan(_at_)chandlerfamily(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk