Re: [fetchmail]The 5.9.4 release of fetchmail is available

2001-10-06 06:03:29
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 11:56:24 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, ESR wrote:

I've had it.  I'm done.  At this point I am planning to remove
gettext support in the next release. I have left it in this release
only because I wanted to get the buffer-overflow guard code out quickly.

Not again :( ARGH. Eric, I can maintain the gettext stuff for you. As long
as you do not mind using --with-included-gettext yourself when building
fetchmail, that should reduce your gettext problems to nearly nothing.

Please do not remove the i18n support. People whose native language is
English almost always understimate the need, and value of i18n... How would
you deal with software in Finish, Portuguese or, say, Turkish?

I fully agree with Henrique. ESR, please consider his offer to
maintain the gettext stuff.

You will never hear from those who have most interest in gettext
support on an English speaking mailing list. They and you are
essentially not able to speak to each other. But nevertheless
proper localisation is necessary for free software to become
popular in non-English speaking countries.

Even those who understand English fairly well, like me who
translate programs, experience a new dimension when runinng a
program which speaks my own language.

Regards,
Byrial