Re: [fetchmail]Large mail messages not being downloaded....

2001-10-10 17:19:38
Hamish Whittal <hamish(_at_)QEDux(_dot_)co(_dot_)za> writes:

I am still quite confused about this manual download versus the cron-job
download. I have no clew as to why this should be the case, other than
the output is going to the console instead of a log file.

Yes, that's odd.

Yes, but sendmail can't put the message in that dir until it gets it
from fetchmail.  Fetchmail won't give it to sendmail until it's
retrieved the whole thing.  So if fetchmail isn't retrieving the mail,
you shouldn't see any progress there.

I am not sure what is in the mail, but in the /var/spool/mqueue, there
is a mail message there, and when I finally kill fetchamail (because it
does has stopped receiving the mail), the entry in the directory
disappears. So I am guessing that this is the mail message in question.

Ah.  My mistake.  Fetchmail hands the headers to SMTP before it starts
downloaded the message body.  That must be what you're seeing there.

Well, have you tried capturing fetchmail -v -v output to a file?  What
does fetchmail think it's doing when this happens?  Is it actually
waiting for data from the network?  Maybe it's waiting for sendmail?
fetchmail -v -v and/or strace would help answer this.

OK. Will do. Should I send it to this mail list

It may be a bit big for that.  If it's not terribly sensitive (and you
can), put it on the web somewhere that people can get to it, and send
the URL to the list, in case someone else wants to look at it.  If
that's not possible, send it to me directly.

Todd