Re: [fetchmail]Large mail messages not being downloaded....

2001-10-04 06:20:43
Hamish Whittal <hamish(_at_)QEDux(_dot_)co(_dot_)za> writes:

It seem that my side does the negotiating DOWN of the tcp window size
after the 360K limit is reached. Small mails, no problem. Large ones get
things in a knot. Another odditiy, is that for these larger mails no
'showdots' as shown. Progress is monitored by looking at sendmail Q.
[...]
Any help would be most appreciated.......

Typically, TCP window sizes go to zero when the application is not
reading from its end of the socket.  The kernel's buffers fill up, and
it refuses to accept more data.  That, plus the fact that you say you
don't see any 'showdots' from fetchmail suggest that fetchmail isn't
reading from the socket for some reason.

It's not clear what you mean by monitoring progress by looking at the
sendmail Q.  Until fetchmail fetches the whole message, it won't hand
it to sendmail, so how do you see any progress there?

I'd suggest either attaching a debugger to fetchmail when this happens
and see what it's doing, or trying to strace it.  The debugger would
be a better bet, if that works for you, but if you installed from rpm
you probably don't have the symbols.

Todd