[fetchmail]POP timeout/socket error

2001-11-21 16:03:00
Hi.
 Hope I'm including all the right info. I'm using fetchmail to poll a total
of 5 pop boxes. 3 of these are hosted on a hosting apliance type machine
(http://www.matrix-servers.com)- and it's these that are the problem.
Fetchmail actually works fine- the other two mailboxes get polled, and the
messages are forwarded on to my SMTP service.
However, if I get a message of anything more than a few Kbytes on one of the
3 POP accounts, fetchmail polls the box and starts to retrieve the message-
it gets a few K in to the data. After a while, this hangs, and times out
with a socket error. The machine running fetchmail (Redhat 7.2, with the
latest version installed from RPM from the fetchmail homepage) clearly sends
an ACK to the server (I've traced this with ethereal), but gets nothing
back.

So what- it's just a timeout!

*except*
If I use balsa on the same machine, or M$ Lookout on my Windoze machine, the
transaction completes, and I get the mail.

I don't understand at all. This did all work 100% until recently - the
hosting co has changed something, I think. Thing is, why does it work with
balsa etc?

I found something that seemed relevant in the FAQ- disabling tcp_timestamps.
I tried this, it made no difference.
I've done a kludge for now by setting a forwarder on the 3 problem POP
boxes.

Like I said, I'm running RH7.2. Ftechmail 5.9.5. My local SMTP service is
postfix. If it's significant, I'm behind a smoothwall NAT/Firewall, and I
have a cable modem connection via Blueyonder (UK cable internet provider)
The remote server is based at fasthosts in the UK and announces itself as
'Matrix POP3 server v1.1' so it seems to be a custom one for the
win2000-based hosting appliance- I couldn't find any info about it beyond
what's on the above website (which isn't much!).

Thanks in advance.
Chris Bartram

Heres .fetchmailrc:

# Configuration created Thu Jul 26 14:09:16 2001 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "postmaster"
set nobouncemail
set properties ""
poll mail.piglet-net.net with proto POP3 and options no dns uidl
       user "chris(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net" there with password xxxxx is
chris here
warnings 3600
    user "mary(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net" there with password xxxxx is mary here
warnings 3600
    user "stymaster(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net" there with password xxxxx is
stymaster
here warnings 3600

poll mail.virgin.net with proto POP3 and options no dns uidl
       user "mary.bartram" there with password xxxxxx is mary here warnings
3600
    user "chris.bartram" there with password xxxxx is chris here

poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk with proto POP3 and options no dns uidl
       user "cb004b3641" there with password xxxxxx is chris here warnings
3600

and here's fetchmail -V

This is fetchmail release 5.9.5
Linux linux3.piglet 2.4.7-10 #1 Thu Sep 6 17:27:27 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
Taking options from command line and /root/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /root/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to postmaster.
Fetchmail will direct error mail to the postmaster.
Options for retrieving from chris(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net@mail.piglet-net.net:
  True name of server is mail.piglet-net.net.
  Protocol is POP3 (forcing UIDL use).
  All available authentication methods will be tried.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Delivered-To lines will be kept (dropdelivered off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.
Options for retrieving from mary(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net@mail.piglet-net.net:
stymaster(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net@mail.piglet-net.net:
[...]
Options for retrieving from mary(_dot_)bartram(_at_)mail(_dot_)virgin(_dot_)net:
  True name of server is mail.virgin.net.
[...]
chris(_dot_)bartram(_at_)mail(_dot_)virgin(_dot_)net:
[...]
cb004b3641(_at_)pop3(_dot_)blueyonder(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk:
  True name of server is pop3.blueyonder.co.uk.
[...]

here's a section of fetchmail -v -v : There's no mail at the POP now because
it's all forwarded.

fetchmail: Old UID list from mail.piglet-net.net: <empty>
fetchmail: Old UID list from mail.piglet-net.net: <empty>
fetchmail: Old UID list from mail.piglet-net.net: <empty>
fetchmail: Old UID list from mail.virgin.net: <empty>
fetchmail: Old UID list from mail.virgin.net: <empty>
fetchmail: Old UID list from pop3.blueyonder.co.uk: <empty>
fetchmail: Scratch list of UIDs: <empty>
fetchmail: 5.9.5 querying mail.piglet-net.net (protocol POP3) at Wed, 21 Nov
2001 22:43:19 +0000 (GMT): poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Matrix POP3 Mail Server v(1.1) on <mailserver01> POP3
Service is Ready
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Invalid Command String of CAPA
fetchmail: POP3> USER chris(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net
fetchmail: POP3< +OK enter password
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK user authenticated. Proceed
fetchmail: selecting or re-polling default folder
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 0
fetchmail: No mail for chris(_at_)piglet-net(_dot_)net at mail.piglet-net.net
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 Server Confirms Quit
fetchmail: 5.9.5 querying mail.piglet-net.net (protocol POP3) at Wed, 21 Nov
2001 22:43:23 +0000 (GMT): poll completed
New UID list from mail.piglet-net.net: <empty>
fetchmail: not swapping UID lists, no UIDs seen this query
fetchmail: Query status=1 (NOMAIL)