[fetchmail]Fetchmail hangs on large messages, but only in daemon mode

2002-02-22 04:54:57
I'm using fetchmail 5.9.8 (the latest in Debian sid) under Linux
2.4.17, connecting to a Maillennium POP3 server, and I've seen a
strange behaviour for several months.  Whenever there's a large
message in my POP3 box, fetchmail hangs in daemon mode but not in
non-daemon mode.  Here's my current .fetchmailrc:

  set postmaster "david"
  set bouncemail
  set no spambounce
  set properties ""

  poll pop3.attglobal.net with proto pop3
    user XXX there is david here options fetchall

  poll pop.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com with protocol pop3
    user XXX there is david here options fetchall

(passwords are in my .netrc).  I've tried zillions of different
mutations, but in every case,

  fetchmail -d 30

(or -d 300, or whatever) always hangs when there's a message with a
large attachment, usually 2-3 times/day.  When I kill it after a few
minutes and type

  fetchmail

all my mail comes in in a couple of seconds (I'm using a cable
modem).  I then go back to daemon mode until I haven't received any
mail for a while, at which point I realize that daemon mode is hung
on a big message again and repeat the procedure.

I've read the FAQ twice but didn't see anything related.  IMAP access
is not available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and all the best,

David