Re: [fetchmail]Re: Idea for a new feature?

2002-02-23 16:41:27
[...]

On 14:59 23 Feb 2002, Scott Porter <scott(_at_)javascript-games(_dot_)org>
wrote:
|  Basically, I'd like fetchmail to be able to scan the text coming
through
| from the POP as it's downloading each mail, and if a pattern is matched
| anywhere (eg: "I send you this file*") then the connection to the POP is
| terminated, the index of the message stored, then a reconnect, and upon
| reconnection, a dele of the matched message. This is assuming a download
| cannot be stopped, and the connection to the server maintained (been a
LONG
| time since I read any RFCs on this subject!)

[...]

You could routinely run with a size limit and then query the mailbox
afterwards to see what it leaves behind.

Yes, this is an option, and I have tried this, but I am sent large files at
times from unknown addresses quite legitimately (people submiting games for
my site).

Also, I saw an app go past on freshmeat yesterday for preemptively
pruning a pop mailbox. But I think it would to have been header based
(otherwise you'd have to download the text anyway, so you should just
go to your ISP's shell server and do it there).

Sure, I also do this, but it's not any sort of satisfactory solution. Hmm,
does fetchmail currently allow filtering by issuing a TOP command, then a
pattern match on the result? This could be enough for me... Sorry if this is
an obvious question...