[fetchmail]Idea for a new feature?

2002-02-23 07:32:24
Hi,

 This is my first post to the list! I've been using Fetchmail for a couple of
years now, running on a server connected via a router which is connected to
the 'net via a modem. This works great, but I have a problem with virii'
being sent to me at the moment with huge attachments and wondered if the
following feature could be added in the future...

 Basically, I'd like fetchmail to be able to scan the text coming through
from the POP as it's downloading each mail, and if a pattern is matched
anywhere (eg: "I send you this file*") then the connection to the POP is
terminated, the index of the message stored, then a reconnect, and upon
reconnection, a dele of the matched message. This is assuming a download
cannot be stopped, and the connection to the server maintained (been a LONG
time since I read any RFCs on this subject!)

Obviously this might affect performance on machines connected over a fast
link, but scanning data crawling along my phone line, through the router and
into the server shouldn't be that CPU intensive, right? :-)

Is something like this already in the pipeline, or does any other agent have
something like this? If so, I haven't seen it for Linux or Windows...

Thanks,
                Scott