Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail and dates

2002-02-24 08:20:56
From: "J. 'FIK' Brand" <Jurgen(_dot_)Brand(_at_)tip(_dot_)nl>

Hello,

My setup; a linux server (RedHat 7.2) with sendmail and imap and fetchmail, fetchmail is run with a cron job every 4 hours. The client is a Win200 machine with Outlook Express.

The problem is that the recieve date/time of the e-mails is the date/time that fetchmail gets the e-mails from the provider.

Is it possible to get Outlook to display te recieve date/time of the e-mails when they where recieved by my provider.

You'll discover this has been discussed on the list a great many times. So many I'm surprised it's not an FAQ subject by now...

Basically, mail clients use the most recent Received: header. When you use fetchmail to grab your email, and pass it to your mail server, another Received: line gets added.

You *might* get a solution by passing email directly to the LDA (procmail etc) and running fetchmail in the silent mode so it adds nothing to the headers.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: