[fetchmail]Warnings when fetching mail with SSL

2002-03-26 12:16:37
Dear fetchmail-friends,

I've been using fetchmail now for over one year without problems.
(It is simply a great tool.)
Some time ago WEB.de and also GMX anounced that they support SSL
connections to their mailservers.
Because I am a little bit paranoid I tried this method with fetchmail
at once. But I always got some warnings.

So I installed the latest version of fetchmail (5.9.8) and also openssl
(0.9.6c) and thought that would solve my problem.

But unfortunatly it did not.

A typical logfile lock like this:
fetchmail: 5.9.8 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Sun Mar 24
09:56:25 2002: poll started
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: TC TrustCenter for Security in Data
Networks GmbH
fetchmail: Unknown Issuer CommonName
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: pop.gmx.net key fingerprint:
20:ED:0B:93:33:7F:E0:FD:74:77:14:EF:31:35:90:26
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: unable to get local
issuer certificate
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: TC TrustCenter for Security in Data
Networks GmbH
fetchmail: Unknown Issuer CommonName
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: certificate not
trusted
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: TC TrustCenter for Security in Data
Networks GmbH
fetchmail: Unknown Issuer CommonName
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: unable to verify
the first certificate
fetchmail: POP3< +OK GMX POP3 StreamProxy ready
<30732(_dot_)1016960094(_at_)mp006-rz3>
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unknown command.
fetchmail: Unknown command.

The same holds for the web.de mail acount.

My fetchmailrc looks like this :

set postmaster "root"
set nobouncemail
set properties ""
set showdots

poll pop.gmx.net with proto POP3
        user "dummy(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de"  there with password "secret" is MYSELF
here
ssl options fetchall warnings 3600
    antispam 571 550 501 554

poll imap.web.de with proto IMAP
        user "dummy(_at_)web(_dot_)de"  there with password "topsecret" is
MYSELF
here ssl   options fetchall warnings 3600
    antispam 571 550 501 554

I am a novice in ssl.
Perhaps I have to get the server certificate first myself and tell
fetchmail where to find it. But I do not know how to get this
certificate.

Any hint or help is very welcome, because I haven't got any idea left
what to do.

Especially Web.de is not a great supporter of linux and fetchmail users.

Thanks in advance for reading this (and hopefully sending me a usefull
mail ;-)).

Best Regards
Marcus