Re: [fetchmail] can't fetchmail ssl from UWash imap?

2002-08-26 01:34:47
Alexy Khrabrov <alexy(_dot_)khrabrov(_at_)setup(_dot_)org> writes:

Greetings -- I got the freshest UWash imap c-client and built
that with SSL.  Same things with fetchmail 5.9.13.  And OpenSSL
is still hot, 0.9.6e.  OK, fetching with pure imap works fine.
An attempt to fetch with --ssl croaks this:

3234:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:460:

And in fact, fetchmail -p imap -P 993 succeeds, as if imapd works in
non-SSL mode over there.

Try

openssl s_client -connect your.imap.server:993

to see if there's an IMAP or IMAP+SSL server on port 993. (Type
"A LOGOUT" -- without the quote marks -- to close the connection should
it succeed.)

For me, fetchmail 5.9.13 works fine with just "proto POP3" and the "ssl"
keyword, but no explicit port specification; the server does not listen
on port 110, just 995.

BTW, when I tried to place ssl keyword in .fetchmailrc, it croaked all
the way until the poor word got kicked to the very end of the line.
I wish it were explained somewhere where to put it...

It is, look in the manual page. SSL is a user keyword, not a server
keyword, and fetchmail insists on user keywords being put AFTER server
keywords.