RE: [fetchmail] Fetchmail for OpenVMS

2002-09-08 07:31:01
On Monday, September 09, 2002 12:01 AM, jkinz(_at_)rcn(_dot_)com
[SMTP:jkinz(_at_)rcn(_dot_)com]
wrote:
On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:14:01PM +1000, Mark Forsyth wrote:

Has anyone ported, or thought of porting, Fetchmail to OpenVMS ? Being
an
OpenVMS bigot with negligible programming skills I for one would like
see it.

Mostly what I was doing was making sure that I wasn't going to be
re-inventing the wheel. it seems I'm not so I'll get to it.

Doesn't OpenVMS have some posix compatibility libraries ?

All of the required stuff exists, thankfully. The hurdle is doing
handronically what ./configure does. So far I haven't run into any
show-stoppers - it's just time consuming though I'm hopeful that I can get
it done sometime during the week.

Even with negligible programming skills you might be able to grab
the source and see if it compiles.

I'm a VMS system mangler with over 20 years experience of writing one off
UGLY hacks that (hopefully) never get used beyond the original requirement.
As far as writing _real_ applications - forget it, I'm much better at
generating kernel mode crashes....:-)

I seem to recall that there are Unix like shells and tools available
for VMS.

Unfortunately autoconf isn't available - a few attempts at porting it have
been made but the folks who have tried have ended up putting it in the too
hard basket.

If you start with those it seems to me that you should be able to build
fetchmail on VMS.

I've made a start - it'll happen but not quickly...:-) When I get it done
I'll make it all available of course - source, linkable objects (VAX and
Alpha) and executables.

Ooroo
Mark F...

Another Optus Cable Traffic Monitor.