Re: [fetchmail] Fetchmail Version numbers suggestion (read before 6.0.0)

2002-09-09 07:29:32
Eric S. Raymond schrieb am Montag, den 09. September 2002:

The pace has been slowing lately, with the interval between releases
increasing.  This isn't a picture of a program that even *needs* a
development branch, really.

I know that, but distributors seem to think differently. I have tried
hard to bug SuSE into upgrading their leafnode and fetchmail packages,
at no avail. They'll only grab security fixes if they can separate them,
and apply them, but stick with 5.9.0 otherwise, regardless of how many
other bugfixes there are. I'd like to make the recent fetchmail versions
available to more unsuspecting users.

If you hold your "maintenance mode" position, then it's inconsequential
of ever bumping the version or calling a version "gold" again. If it was
in maintenance mode, you'd only ever bump the last digit. At least,
that's what I'd feel.

Best regards,
Matthias