[fetchmail] Novonyx / www.myrealbox.com IMAP login problems

2002-09-23 18:41:34
Hi all.

As a happy user of myrealbox.com, when I made my move to Linux fetchmail was
given as the default tool (and it's worked perfectly for me so far).
Unfortunately, due to wanting to be able to read messages away from home, I
needed the IMAP access.

Having searched through the 9mb archive file, I found the previous
correspondence about it, the last entry of which was at the end of 2001. I
believe I have found the problem, and I've changed it in the source for 6.1 I
just downloaded. I don't think it's the sort of thing that should be put in
globally, it looks to me like the server's broken :-(

The original message I refer to is:
http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetchmail-friends/2001-December/001358.html

The output from the server is:

[mike(_at_)relativity fetchmail-6.1.0]$ ./fetchmail -c -v -v
fetchmail: 6.1.0 querying imap.myrealbox.com (protocol IMAP) at Tue 24 Sep
2002 01:47:39 BST: poll started
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK myrealbox.com NetMail IMAP4 Agent server ready
<324d(_dot_)1032828464(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com>
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=LOGIN STARTTLS XSENDER
X-NETSCAPE X-NOVONYX LOGINDISABLED
fetchmail: IMAP< A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed,
fetchmail: Protocol identified as IMAP4 rev 1
fetchmail: Authorization failure on parksie(_at_)imap(_dot_)myrealbox(_dot_)com
fetchmail: IMAP> A0002 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server signing off
fetchmail: IMAP< A0002 OK LOGOUT completed
fetchmail: 6.1.0 querying imap.myrealbox.com (protocol IMAP) at Tue 24 Sep
2002 01:47:40 BST: poll completed

The thing I noticed was that LOGINDISABLED in the capabilities string, which
triggers the code in imap.c to reject authentication because, obviously,
logging in is not allowed. I knew for a fact that it works, because Outlook
is happy to read the messages. In fact, with the check removed, it works
perfectly now.

My diff from imap.c in fetchmail-6.1.0.tar.gz:

455c455
<       && !strstr (capabilities, "LOGINDISABLED"))
---
      /*&& !strstr (capabilities, "LOGINDISABLED")*/

Hopefully this might help someone else, if not, I'll just keep making the
same change when the upgrades appear :-)

--
Mike Parks

http://www.parksie.uklinux.net/parksie.asc
78B8 3D71 BC75 80AA 7498  D055 D223 05DF 6000 AE1F