Re: [fetchmail] Harmless(?) "Repoll immediately" message even under--silent

2002-10-06 02:09:47
From: Robin Houston <robin(_at_)kitsite(_dot_)com>

I've just installed fetchmail 6.1.0+NLS on Linux 2.2.19-6.2.16 (RedHat 6.2)
My POP3 server identifies itself as MercuryP/NLM v1.48

When I run fetchmail (even fetchmail --silent), it complains:

  fetchmail: Repoll immediately on [username(_at_)servername]

Under --verbose, I get:

  fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
  fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Bad command.
  fetchmail: Bad command.
  fetchmail: Repoll immediately on [username(_at_)servername]

so it seems to be related to the fact that the server doesn't support
CAPA. The problem is that I get the "Repoll" message even when running
under --silent, and yet it appears to be part of normal operation and
outside my control (so I would have expected it to be suppressed).

Some POP3 servers support CAPA and fetchmail doesn't complain about them. Others don't and fetchmail logs this message.

It's perfectly normal and utterly harmless. It also only occurs the first time a server is polled.

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?