fetchmail-friends

Re: [fetchmail] Re: Fetchmail repeatedly processing the same mail

2002-11-19 05:32:44
The problem I report here looks superficially similar to that discussed in
O9 in the FAQ, but the log file seems to suggest something rather
different is going on.
    Is there anything I can do about this?  I'm afraid I don't really
understand what is happening here.

Here is the tail of the .fetchmail.log (I've changed the userid to 'me'
to protect my ntlworld e-mail):

fetchmail: 59 messages for me at pop.ntlworld.com (342232 octets).
fetchmail: reading message me(_at_)pop(_dot_)ntlworld(_dot_)com:1 of 59
(16842 octets) fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address
KING-OF-THE-HILL(_at_)WORLDMAIL(_dot_)COM does not resolve
fetchmail:  not flushed
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from pop.ntlworld.com
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: sleeping at Tue Nov 19 10:47:04 2002

Well, for a start, a 451 error code represents a Temporary failure, which is
why fetchmail isn't flushing the message. If network problems caused several
real domains to not resolve temporarily, you would probably want fetchmail
to keep on trying for a while, rather than bounce or, worse, deleting the
messages. So the only real question is whether fetchmail eventually gives
up, or whether the message will sit in your pop3 mailbox for ever...

Interesting, interesting.  Hmm.

I don't know what the right answer is, but the current behaviour is not
good.

The WORLDMAIL.COM message has been in the system for 3 days, and
understandably my sendmail is refusing to accept it (it is indeed spam).
fetchmail has tried repeatedly every ten minutes for those three days to
send it, and has at the same time sent the two messages preceding it in
the message list repeatedly.  This is not good!

I've resolved this problem for now by pointing MSOE at the mailbox and
reading everything, but there has to be a better solution!