Re: [fetchmail] forcing a flush

2002-12-05 13:21:21
Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
Any 4xx response (like 451) indicates a transient (temporary) error. This
means that the mail could be accepted if retried later. Lookup failures are
normally transient errors as a mail should not get rejected if a dns server
is unreachable or down.

I suppose there is no way to tell fetchmail to behave differently.  I don't
consider that lack of flexibility a feature.

You can use fetchmail's antispam directive to tell it to consider any
message giving a 451 error to be spam.

But it's better to change the sendmail (or other MTA) configuration to
give a different response.  In the case of unresolvable domains, it's
best to turn off that check, so that the MTA takes the message even if
the domain is unresolvable.  Then make the upstream MTA do the domain
checking.

Why?  Well, consider what happens when you have a temporary name
service outage.....

--
==============================|   "A microscope locked in on one point
 Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net> |Never sees what kind of room that