Re: [fetchmail] @ symbol in username

2002-12-18 14:55:34
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 04:38  PM, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

Jim Correia wrote:

AFAIK procmail is usually installed SUID root and changes its UID to
Indeed.
[localhost:~] correia% ls -l `which procmail`
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  83112 Nov 22 17:17 /usr/bin/procmail

uh, your procmail is _not_ setuid! (Or did I miss to ironic tags?)

I thought I was reading t's, but evidently I wasn't reading carefully.

The man page does say though that

"If fetchmail is running as root, it sets its userid to that of the target user while delivering mail through an MDA."

But much more important: You asked "If I am pulling mail for multiple
local users, and use procmail as the
MDA, what is the preferred mode?"
The correct answer would have been: Don't do that! The mda Option is
only usable with multidrop mailboxes, because MDAs only take one
recipient address.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my question...

Suppose my fetchmailrc says

  poll pop.provider.net proto pop3
      user "jsmith", with password secret1, is "jsmith" here;
  poll other.provider.net proto pop2:
      user "John.Smith", with password "My^Hat", is "John.Smith" here;

and I'm using "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T" as my MDA.

The correct answer is don't do that since the local mail will not be delivered correctly to the local recipients?

Jim