[fetchmail] Re: Message Won't Download With New Update

2002-12-27 01:06:32
Quoting from SoloCDM's mail on Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 10:35:57PM -0700:
Although, fetchmail -e still doesn't work and until lately I was
unable to capture the problem with ltrace -- unable to continuously
reproduce the problem (sporadic).  Nothing appears to be out of sorts
when I use fetchmail -B 100 -e 50 -vv, therefore, I have attached a
gzip logfile capturing the failure of fetchmail -e with your
suggestion of ltrace fetchmail -B 100 -e 50 -d 0 --nosyslog > logfile
2>&1.

The socket error is occurring on a login immediately after a logout.
There could be two reasons for that:

1) The server may not be allowing a login immediately after a logout.
You can test this through telnet: login, logout, and immediately login
again. If the second login fails, this is the source of the problem.

Then, a solution would be to use the same number for -B and -e.

2) The server may not be allowing too many logins from the same IP
address. Do you have multiple fetchmails polling the same server? You
can test this through telnet: login multiple times without logout.
Check after how many logins you get a socket error.

Then, it may be better for you to increase the daemon time of all the
fetchmails so that possibility of having multiple fetchmails polling
the same server at the same time is small. You may also have to start
different fetchmails at different times.

Another possibility (provided that sharing of passwords is not a
security issue) is that you may club all the fetchmailrcs into one or
more groups. For example, if you got a socket error after 4 logins,
you may have just 3 or 4 fetchmails polling the same server.

--
Sunil Shetye.