Re: [fetchmail] Popclean: a proposed solution for FAQ item G5

2003-03-27 22:17:00
Jan Klaverstijn <jan(_at_)klaverstijn(_dot_)nl>:
Dear fetchmail friends,

Let me quote the following FAQ item:

G5. I want to make fetchmail behave like Outlook Express. The second-most-
requested feature for fetchmail, after content-based filtering, is the ability
to have it remove messages from a maildrop after N days, typically to be used
with the keep option as a sort of poor man's newsgroup facility. Microsoft's
Outlook Express supports this.

This feature won't be added either. Repeat after
me: fetchmail's job is transport, not policy. If you want this, write a Perl
or
Python script, to be run from a cron job, that deletes old messages off your
maildrop. Send it to me and I'll put it in the contrib directory.

End of quote.

After yet another such request for this a while ago, this time by Father
Peter,
I decided to ask him to try out my perl script called popclean. Father Peter's
invaluable patience and feedback helped me develop this script into what I now
think is potentially usable by a wider audience. Popclean deletes messages
that
were received by a pop server N hours ago, but only if they are downloaded by
fetchmail before. Account information is obtained from .fetchmailrc. Quite a
few
options control the script. SSL is on my to-do list. Please visit
http://www.klaverstijn.nl/popclean for more details and a download.

If you think it's on OK solution, I would like to have it put into the
contrib.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
Jan Klaverstijn

I'll take this for the contrib directory.