[fetchmail] spams wriggling through

2003-05-03 17:28:09

Hi... I'm a new list member, even though I have been happily
using fetchmail for a number of years now. A very much belated
thank you to Mr Raymond and colleagues!

I've hit on a problem though that I can't explain or resolve
and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I'm being plagued by a spam outfit - the usual stuff - visit their
pornographic webcam sites. I wouldn't normally worry about it
because the spamfilter I'm using seems to sift most of the junk,
however there is a problem.

All of the spams originating from this one outfit, are addressed
to non-existent local accounts. I'm using fetchmail 6.2.2 in
multi-drop mode.

The emails to non-existent accounts should, because of the
postmaster setting in .fetchmailrc, be re-addressed by
fetchmail to a local account called 'rubbish'. Normally this
works as intended and I'm not plagued in this way by spams to
non-existent accounts, but this one spammer seems to have found
a way around the mechanism, and his spams are landing in the
mailbox of my primary account called 'michael'.

Below is an example of one of his spams. Note that it is
addressed To: adorablek but is re-addressed by fetchmail
to 'michael' even though .fetchmailrc has postmaster set
to re-address to the 'rubbish' account.

Two last things.. none of these non-existent accounts are
in /etc/aliases and I'm using fetchmail 6.2.2, full settings
at the foot of this email.

Hoping someone might be able to help.

Rgds,

Michael