[fetchmail] Newbie faq: multi-drop question

2003-07-26 04:25:47
Ladies & gents,

I know that this is a faq and that I must be extremely dim for not being
able to resolve my problem even after reading the manpage and the faq,
but that's the way it is. Please be kind.

I am trying to accomplish the following: my ISP has a single POP3
mailbox for me, with up to five aliases. I wish to have mail for each of
these aliases delivered to different mailboxes on my Linux machine, and
I understand that this is what fetchmail's multi-drop feature is
designed to accomplish.

Unfortunately though, all mail retrieved is delivered to the local
postmaster account instead of being delivered to the user accounts that
I have set up. Also, fetchmail inserts messages such as the following in
the headers:

any
local name

The FAQ suggests that this is a DNS problem and offers two possible
solutions:

 - fixing DNS (although it's not very explicit about exactly what needs
   fixing)

 - 'hard' configuring all of the mail server's aliases and taking DNS
   out of the loop altogether.

This is thoroughly confusing to me: I am not my ISP and therefore cannot
fix any DNS problems my ISP may be having. Still, after a lot of testing
I think that I've now figured out that this is about fetchmail's need to
be able to select the correct Received line which contains the alias to
which mail is to be delivered.

Having followed the FAQ's advice and having gotten fetchmail to select
the right Received line etc., I'm still having the local name matching
problem and mail is still being delivered to the postmaster account.

I am using fetchmail release 5.9.0+IMAP-GSS+NTLM+SSL+INET6+NLS on Red
Hat Linux 7.2 with kernel 2.4.20-18.7. The rest of the local delivery
chain includes sendmail 8.11.6 and procmail 3.21.

My fetchmail.conf file (slightly mangled but -- I hope -- without loss
of relevant information):

set postmaster root
set idfile /tmp/fetchmail.idfile
set syslog
poll pop.skynet.be
 via pop3pool1.skynet.be
 aka jade.skynet.be
 no dns
 protocol pop3
 user popaccount with pass fakepassw to popaccount=janc
janspam(_dot_)ceuleers(_at_)computer(_dot_)org=janc alias1=janc alias2=test4mail
 smtphost localhost

I've tried the above with and without single quotes around the server
and local names, with and without the 'here' suffix, with
fully-qualified email addresses for both server and local names and with
just the usernames themselves, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jan