Re: [fetchmail] Why is APOP a protocol and not an authentication mechanism?

2003-08-01 05:28:48
At 8:25 PM -0700 7/31/03, bcl wrote:
If I understand you correctly you are proposing having APOP fall back to
POP3 when it isn't available from the server? The problem I have with that
is that fetchmail will then be revealing passwords in the clear without the
express configuration of the admin. When I set it up for APOP I don't expect
my passwords to be going across the link, no matter what.

No, what I'm suggesting is that APOP really should be an authorization mechanism, not a protocol (since that's what it is). If you do a protocol of POP3 and auth of ANY, then APOP ought to get tried somewhere in there (probably after cram-md5 and before password). If you specify APOP explicitly, then you'll either get it, or get a failure. That doesn't change.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.