Re: [fetchmail] Retrieval Error - incorrect header line

2003-08-06 16:22:12
Paul M Foster <paulf(_at_)quillandmouse(_dot_)com>:
Last time I got some of this malformed email (under 6.2.3), it hit a
piece that was malformed and said so. Then I got a protocol error.
Errors looked like this:

fetchmail: message delimiter found while scanning headers
flushed
fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from <pop server>
fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL)

There were more messages on that server, but it apparently broke the
connection at that point. When I went back to fetch the rest, _all_ the
mail was still on the server. (I had to run fetchmail -F to kill it.)

I've never had a protocol error with this server, and I haven't had any
malformed-header emails since, so I can't say whether the behavior is
consistent. (I'll let you know if it happens again.)

If others have seen this behavior in 6.2.3, or if the phenomenon rings a
bell with you, then maybe it represents an edge case.

I've just confirmed that this behavior is consistent. If any further
data is needed, let me know.

Apparently my attempted fix was wrong.  I didn't catch it, because I normally
use IMAP and thus never see a malformed message via POP3.

Sunil Shetye appears to have fixed this in his most recent rollup patch.