Re: [fetchmail] Idea regarding integration of (nasty) HTTPMail transport

2003-08-26 01:38:55
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Craig Pratt <craig(_at_)strong-box(_dot_)net>:
Thankfully, the HotWay project has engineered a POP-to-HTTPMail proxy
(hotwayd). Using this and fetchmail, we are able to satisfy the
client's request.

But it got me thinking: Could this bastard protocol be added to
fetchmail's repertoire? I - of course - fear legitimizing the protocol.
But it would remove the need for setting up a daemon just to do the
conversion - which can be confusing for new users.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.  It depends on whether the new
protocol could be fit in as another driver (like the POP2, POP3, POP4
and ODMR drivers) without uglifying the core code.

Since it appears that the HTTPMail protocol is expressable as
POP3 (since HotWayDaemon already does that conversion), it should
fit in as another driver.

Of course, I'm saying this without having looked at a line of
code of either fetchmail or hotwayd. 8^]

The HTTPMail protocol appears to be WebDAV-based. In this sense
it's more like IMAP. But since fetchmail also supports IMAP
downloads, I think it would be a good fit.

Thanks - I'll start poking around at the driver code.

Craig

Craig Pratt
Strongbox Network Services Inc.
craigATstrong-boxDOTnet