Re: [fetchmail] after rewriting address becomes invalid.

2003-11-05 09:25:09
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:30:41PM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
From: "Andrei A. Voropaev" <avorop(_at_)mail(_dot_)ru>

I couldn't find in man page what shall be specified in the Envelope-To
line.

Because it depends on your upstream mail provider.  If you posted a sample
mail header then somebody will be able to help.

Ok. I shall try to catch it next time. Though I'm receiving mail from
this provider for 2 years now and this is the first time I hit the
problem.

As far as I understand the rewriting of Received: header should
have found string 'for some(_at_)domain(_dot_)com' and rewrite it with some
other
value. That string was not present in the Received: header line. So
rewriting should have failed and revert to using To: and CC: fields. But
this didn't happen. Incorrectly rewritten header was passed to MTA.

It's not re-writing - it's trying to work out who the recipient is.  No
mail header was touched.

Well. One thing I miss here. "Rewriting" means changing, not "working
out".  In either case. The "working out" was incorrect since MTA
rejected results of this "working out". According to docs (man page)
incorrect results were not supposed to be passed to MTA. If working out
of address didn't work for "Received:" header then To: and CC: should have
been used. They were not.

And after all: What happened to the message? Where did it go?

Andrei