[fetchmail] Re: Multidrop badness

2003-11-08 18:53:24
Hi Geoff,

On Sunday, Nov 9, 2003, at 11:00 Australia/Adelaide, Geoff Saulnier <geoffsaulnier(_at_)mac(_dot_)com> wrote:

On MacOS X 10.3 (Panther), I run fetchmail in multidrop mode picking up
mail from pop3.demon.co.uk  as user birchwoode.  This gets passed on to
postfix which (if if ever works) distributes it to /var/mail/username
and I run UW IMAP (the ipop3d part) having set up Mail.app to talk to a
POP server on localhost to pick up the mail from /var/mail/username.

Here are the various config files:

[fetchmail -V output snipped]

pmac-g5:/etc/mail root# cat /etc/mail/fetchmailrc
set daemon 120
poll pop3.demon.co.uk proto pop3
    aka demon.net
    aka mailstore
#   no dns
localdomains pmac-g5.norton.co.uk localhost
user "birchwoode" pass "XXXXXX"
#   to birchwoode.demon.co.uk = pmac-g5.norton.co.uk * here
    to * here
#and wants smtpaddress pmac-g5.norton.co.uk
fetchall
#keep

For a definitive response you really need to run fetchmail in verbose mode (lower case -v switch - see tham man page) to show what happens during message delivery.

However, I'm guessing your problem is with your...

user "birchwoode" pass "XXXXXX"
#   to birchwoode.demon.co.uk = pmac-g5.norton.co.uk * here
    to * here

...line/s. From the man page:

*       *       *
Here's what a simple retrieval configuration for a multi-drop mailbox looks like:

         poll pop.provider.net:
user maildrop with pass secret1 to golux 'hurkle'='happy' snark here

       This says that the mailbox of account  `maildrop'  on  the
       server is a multi-drop box, and that messages in it should
       be parsed for the server user names `golux', `hurkle', and
       `snark'.   It  further  specifies that `golux' and `snark'
       have the same name on the client as  on  the  server,  but
       mail  for  server  user  `hurkle'  should  be delivered to
       client user `happy'.

In a nutshell, unless your remote (world-visible) and local (MacOS X) usernames are identical, you need to tell fetchmail how to translate between the two. Otherwise, the message gets sent to the postmaster.

I'm running fetchmail in multidrop mode on a MacOS X 10.1 box at work, so please feel free to mail me if you wish.

Best wishes,
Damon