Re: [fetchmail]Problem with fetchmail 6.2.3 (SuSE 9.0) if SMTP error

2004-01-15 07:55:20
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:39:57 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> wrote:

Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw(_at_)ithnet(_dot_)com>:
Obviously the POP3-server sees the same and thinks that UPDATE state was
not reached and therefore does not perform the deletes. So on the next
fetchmail try all the same picture.
In my eyes this is a flakey fetchmail handling of smtp error conditions, it
should read the complete mail and _then_ perform the "dele" and the "quit",
at least it should check whether the pop3-servers answers have something to
do with the RFC ...

In fact, it does work the way you describe.  Your POP3 server is doing
something *very* fluky that is fooling fetchmail.  We've occasionally
seen such things before.

Even after re-thinking the whole story again and again, I can hardly see how
the _server_ can act badly in this case. I bet it acts on this email exactly
the same like on any other. So the only thing that can make a difference is
what the client is doing with the data sent to it.
I mean, there must be some reason, why the client debugging shows parts of the
mail as quasi-answer to its own "dele 211" and "quit" command. I am very sure
the server does not send it twice ...
The server side is qmail btw.

Regards,
Stephan