[fetchmail]SSL error accessing mail.mac.com

2004-02-05 15:09:20
When I get my mail from either pop.sbc.yahoo.com and mail.mac.com I get
the following messages:

fetchmail: No mail for XXX(_at_)sbcglobal(_dot_)net at pop.sbc.yahoo.com
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from pop.sbc.yahoo.com
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
29876:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version
number:s3_pkt.c:286:
fetchmail: No mail for XXX at mail.mac.com

I am not so sure what is causing the first error, or if there is anything I can
do about it.  It seems to only happen occasionally and I have not been able to
catch the -v output when it happens.  I does seem to only happen when there is
actually mail on the server

The second one related to mail.mac.com is more interesting to me.  Here
is the verbose portion of that part of the log:

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.mac.com (protocol auto) at Thu, 05 Feb 2004
15:41:35 -0600 (CST): poll started
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.mac.com (protocol IMAP) at Thu, 05 Feb 2004
15:41:35 -0600 (CST): poll started
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK Netscape Messaging Multiplexor ready
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< * CAPABILITY STARTTLS IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ AUTH=EXTERNAL
AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
fetchmail: IMAP< A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0002 STARTTLS
fetchmail: IMAP< A0002 OK STARTTLS completed 117:error:1408F10B:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version
number:s3_pkt.c:286:
fetchmail: Repoll immediately on XXX(_at_)mail(_dot_)mac(_dot_)com
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK Netscape Messaging Multiplexor ready
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< * CAPABILITY STARTTLS IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ AUTH=EXTERNAL
AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
fetchmail: IMAP< A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0002 LOGIN "XXX" *
fetchmail: IMAP< A0002 OK User logged in
fetchmail: IMAP> A0003 SELECT "INBOX"
fetchmail: IMAP< * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen NotJunk Junk)
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen
NotJunk Junk \*)]
fetchmail: IMAP< * 0 EXISTS
fetchmail: IMAP< * 0 RECENT
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1073625565]
fetchmail: IMAP< A0003 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
fetchmail: No mail for XXX at mail.mac.com
fetchmail: IMAP> A0004 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE LOGOUT received
fetchmail: IMAP< A0004 OK Completed
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.mac.com (protocol IMAP) at Thu, 05 Feb 2004
15:41:43 -0600 (CST): poll completed
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.mac.com (protocol auto) at Thu, 05 Feb 2004
15:41:43 -0600 (CST): poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0

This machine is an Apple 1GHz G4 15" Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.3.2
Fetchmail is the version installed by the OS, not one that I have built
myself.

The pertinent parts of fetchmail -V:
This is fetchmail release 6.2.5+SSL+INET6
Fallback MDA: (none)
Darwin XXX 7.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.2.0: Thu Dec 11 16:20:23 PST 2003;
root:xnu/xnu-517.3.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh unknown
Taking options from command line and /Users/XXX/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /Users/XXX/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to XXX.
<snip>
Options for retrieving from XXX(_at_)mail(_dot_)mac(_dot_)com:
  True name of server is mail.mac.com.
  Protocol is auto.
  All available authentication methods will be tried.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is enabled (stripcr on).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Delivered-To lines will be kept (dropdelivered off)
  Fetch message size limit is 100 (--fetchsizelimit 100).
  Do binary search of UIDs during 9 out of 10 polls (--fastuidl 10).
  Messages will be delivered with "procmail -d XXX".
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.

I tried to provide everything from section G3 of the FAQ, if I missed something
or any other information is needed please let me know.
--
Ron Parker
rdp(_at_)inthefaith(_dot_)net