[fetchmail]fetchmail problems + bug report

2004-02-22 09:48:23
I don't have a bug with fetchmail so much as I have a report of a problem
i'm having connecting to a specific server using fetchmail. I wrote a
program called parallelfetch which (when run as root) runs fetchmail as user
specified in a config file; it runs several instances of fetchmail as
different users at the same time in order to fetch mail for multiple
accounts in parallel, thus speeding up the retrieval as a whole.

I'm having some difficulty with the connections though. I've determined it
must be a problem with my main mail server, courier-imap. I've been testing
my program with courier-imap's pop3 and imap daemons and when I set the
threshold of users to run fetchmail on to 5 users or higher (and by that I
mean 5 fetchmail processes at a time) I start getting weird connection
errors from seemingly random fetchmail processes, such as the following:

root(_at_)meatwad:/home/psypete/misc/coding/pl# ./parallelfetch.pl
sample_pf_file
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from 192.168.0.11
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
done getting mail for test4
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from 192.168.0.11
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
done getting mail for test5
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from 192.168.0.11
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
done getting mail for test1
fetchmail: No mail for test2 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test2
fetchmail: No mail for test3 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test3
fetchmail: No mail for test6 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test6
fetchmail: No mail for test7 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test7
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from 192.168.0.11
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
done getting mail for test10
fetchmail: No mail for test8 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test8
fetchmail: No mail for test9 at 192.168.0.11
done getting mail for test9

This is for both pop3 and imap protocols using courier-imap. On the other
hand, if i use Qpopper and just the pop3 protocol, I get no connection
issues whatsoever; it executes flawlessly. This means either I don't know
what i'm doing in regards to using courier-imap or maybe they have some flaw
in their design fetchmail is exposing? In either case i'd like to be able to
resolve this problem because i'd very much like to use courier-imap or
another good imap server to handle my mail.

If you'd like to see what my parallelfetch program is doing, you can
retrieve the latest version here:
http://psydev.sourceforge.net/new/parallelfetch/parallelfetch-0.1/

Thanks very much for your help in advance. The following is the bug report.

1. Your operating system.

Slackware Linux 9.1. `uname -a` output:
Linux meatwad 2.6.3 #1 Wed Feb 18 14:48:35 EST 2004 i686 unknown unknown
GNU/Linux

2. Your compiler version, if you built from source; otherwise, the name
and origin of the RPM or other binary package you installed.

Slackware Linux 9.1's slackware package fetchmail-6.2.5-i486-1

3. A copy of your POP or IMAP server's greeting line.

Err.. i'm not sure exactly where to get this, but the POP3 and IMAP server I
have been using to test this bug has been courier-imap-2.2.1. The POP3
server prints this out when i connect:

+OK Hello there.

and the IMAP server prints this out when I connect:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright
1998-2003 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.

4. The name and version of the SMTP listener or MDA you are forwarding to.

maildrop-1.6.3

5. Any command-line options you used.

-f /home/name_of_test_user/.prfetchmailrc

6. The output of fetchmail -V called with whatever other command-line
options you used.

This is fetchmail release 6.2.5+SSL+NLS
Fallback MDA: (none)
Linux meatwad 2.6.3 #1 Wed Feb 18 14:48:35 EST 2004 i686 unknown unknown
GNU/Linux Taking options from command line and /home/test8/.pafetchmailrc
Idfile is /home/test8/.fetchids
Fetchmail will show progress dots even in logfiles.
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to test8.
Options for retrieving from test8(_at_)192(_dot_)168(_dot_)0(_dot_)11:
  True name of server is 192.168.0.11.
  Protocol is IMAP.
  All available authentication methods will be tried.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is enabled (stripcr on).
  Carriage-return forcing is enabled (forcecr on).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Delivered-To lines will be kept (dropdelivered off)
  Fetch message size limit is 100 (--fetchsizelimit 100).
  Do binary search of UIDs during 9 out of 10 polls (--fastuidl 10).
  Messages will be delivered with "maildrop".
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

--

'Twas midnight, and the UNIX hacks
Did gyre and gimble in their cave

"Beware the software rot, my son!
The faults that bite, the jobs that thrash!
Beware the broken pipe, and shun
The frumious system crash!"